Copa America chaos continues as Tite's Brazil debate whether or not to compete

By Sports Desk June 03, 2021

Brazil head coach Tite cannot guarantee the participation of the Copa America champions this month as some players oppose the showpiece tournament on home soil.

The 2021 Copa America is scheduled to take place in Brazil, starting June 13, following CONMEBOL's decision to relocate the event.

Postponed from 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Copa America had been due to be shared between Colombia and Argentina, though both countries were removed as co-hosts following respective political and COVID-19 issues.

Brazil have been awarded hosting rights in pursuit of back-to-back titles, despite being one of the country's worst hit by the COVID-19 health crisis.

However, it remains to be seen whether Tite's Brazil will compete due to their displeasure over the relocation of the Copa America.

Amid ongoing talks as Brazil prepare for Friday's World Cup qualifier against Ecuador, Tite told reporters: "We have a very clear opinion [about the Copa America], after seeing the entire chronological sequence of events, Juninho and I spoke with the president and told him our opinion.

"We asked the players to work focused solely on preparing for the game against Ecuador, they accepted this request and asked us for a conversation with the president to tell him what their opinion is, because all the players are very clear about what they want.

"They spoke directly with the president and the coaching staff, from there their position is very clear. We want to tell the fans what they think, but not now so that we can prioritize playing well and winning the game against Ecuador.

"This is our goal and at the end of these FIFA matches, we will tell everyone to clarify our thoughts. You have my commitment that at the end of these games we will tell publicly what the position is."

Brazil are in Group B for the Copa America, alongside Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela.

The Selecao are due to open their campaign against Venezuela on June 13.

Tite, whose Brazil are unbeaten and atop the World Cup qualifying standinds, added: "All this has a negative effect in the face of the game with Ecuador, but we have to have the greatness to overcome this moment and be able to play well and win the game.

"Adversities happen and this hurt us, but it is up to all of us as a team to be able to filter all that and play a great game and achieve the result that people deserve."

Related items

  • Leslie hat-trick pushes Waterhouse to big win over Bayamon in Concacaf League Play-Off Leslie hat-trick pushes Waterhouse to big win over Bayamon in Concacaf League Play-Off

    Andre Leslie notched a hat trick to help power Jamaican side Waterhouse to a 4-0 victory over Bayamon FC of Puerto Rico in the 2022 Scotiabank Concacaf
    League Play-Off on Wednesday afternoon, at the Estadio Cibao FC, in Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic.

    Fresh off their fourth-place finish in the 2022 Flow Concacaf Caribbean Club Championship over the weekend, Waterhouse enjoyed a prolific second half with four goals to defeat the 2022 Concacaf Caribbean Club Shield winners and secure their place in this year’s SCL.

    A tight, intense first half gave way to a much more open second half, and the key moment would come in the 67’ when Stephen Williams struck for the game’s first goal with a sensational left-
    footed strike from outside the area that beat Bayamon GK Joel Serrano.

    With the advantage, Waterhouse could play to their liking and Leslie would take over, scoring his first goal in the 78’ to double the Jamaican side’s lead to 2-0 with a strong right-footed shot
    swung into the net.

    Leslie was just getting started and soon enough in the 84’, it was 3-0 to Waterhouse thanks to a composed left-footed finish from the player inside the area.
    The SCL-clinching day for Waterhouse was then capped in the 87’, as Leslie completed his hat trick and put the bow on the 4-0 scoreline courtesy of another right-footed shot.

  • Roma 1-0 Feyenoord: Zaniolo secures Giallorossi's first major European title Roma 1-0 Feyenoord: Zaniolo secures Giallorossi's first major European title

    Nicolo Zaniolo led Roma to their first major continental title with a 1-0 victory over Feyenoord in the Europa Conference League final in Tirana on Wednesday. 

    After suffering a defeat in the 1984 European Cup final and missing out on UEFA Cup glory seven years later, the Serie A side were not to be denied an elusive European triumph and lifted their first trophy since the Coppa Italia in 2008. 

    Zaniolo, who missed the entire 2020-21 season after suffering a second ACL injury in under a year, dinked in an exemplary finish in the 32nd minute to put Roma in charge. 

    Feyenoord upped their game after the restart and were denied by the woodwork twice in three minutes, but Jose Mourinho's men tightened up and saw out a famous victory.

    The meeting between the competition's two most prolific sides was bereft of goalmouth action for much of the first half, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan's withdrawal due to injury the most notable event in the opening half hour. 

    Roma moved in front with the first real chance of the match, though, as Zaniolo brought down Gianluca Mancini's excellent delivery with his chest and stabbed an instinctive finish home. 

    Feyenoord made a bright start to the second half and Mancini diverted a fizzed low cross onto the near post of his own goal before Rui Patricio parried Guus Til's follow-up behind. 

    Patricio produced a stunning stop in the 50th minute when he tipped a ferocious 20-yard drive from Tyrell Malacia onto the woodwork. 

    Justin Bijlow denied Jordan Veretout and Lorenzo Pellegrini as Roma tried to get a second on the break, but Bryan Linssen was unable to connect with Cyriel Dessers' flick-on in stoppage time on a painful evening for Feyenoord.

  • Xavi optimistic on Gavi renewal 'in a few days' Xavi optimistic on Gavi renewal 'in a few days'

    Xavi is hopeful Barcelona will be able to announce a new contract for Gavi "in a few days". 

    Barca president Joan Laporta this week publicly stated the club were frustrated by the delay in the 17-year-old signing a renewal. 

    Laporta suggested Gavi's agent Ivan de la Pena – a former Barcelona team-mate of Xavi – was comparing the offer to others, with the Spain international only having one year left on his deal. 

    However, Xavi was optimistic Gavi will put pen to paper in the near future after Barca beat the A-Leagues All-Stars 3-2 in Sydney on Wednesday. 

    "These things take time, but I'm hopeful that in a few days we can announce something," said Xavi. 

     

    The Barca boss was far less convincing when asked about the future of Frenkie de Jong. 

    De Jong has been linked with a move away to help the club finance a move for Robert Lewandowski. 

    Xavi said of the Netherlands midfielder: "He is a key player for us and he will continue to be, but everything depends on the financial situation of the club. We'll see what happens." 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.