Dembele fumes at Barcelona 'blackmail' as Spanish giants vow to sell star

By Sports Desk January 20, 2022

Ousmane Dembele has reacted with fury after Barcelona director of football Mateu Alemany ordered the winger to find a new club "immediately".

French winger Dembele has struggled at Camp Nou since joining from Borussia Dortmund in 2017 for an initial €105million.

A string of injury setbacks have hampered his progress, although Barca head coach Xavi recently claimed Dembele could become the "best in the world" in his position.

Dembele's contract runs until the end of the season, meaning this month's transfer window could be the last opportunity for the club to get back any money on their investment.

Barcelona do not want to lose such an expensive signing on a free transfer, and to that end they have been looking to extend his deal, but Alemany said all offers to Dembele "have been continuously rejected by his agents".

Alemany added, speaking to Barca TV on Thursday: "It seems obvious that the player does not want to continue at Barcelona and is not committed to our future project."

This has incensed Dembele, with Alemany going on to say: "We told him and his agents that he must leave the club immediately because we want to have players committed to the project. We expect a transfer to take place before January 31."

Dembele has been linked with clubs including Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain and Newcastle.

Responding to Barcelona's stance, Dembele issued a long statement on Instagram, saying he would not be "giving in to any blackmail".

The 24-year-old said he had put up with four years of reading lies about himself, declaring that claims had been made "with the sole purpose of harming me". He said it had been a mistake that he had not spoken out sooner.

"From today, I will answer with sincerity and without giving in to any blackmail," Dembele wrote. "I am 24 years old and like any man, I have faults, imperfections. I have known complex moments, injuries, I have been affected by COVID. Without any training, the coach called on me and I always answered present... without batting an eyelid.

"I appreciate the chance to do the best job in the world. Furthermore, my message is clear. I forbid anyone to pretend that I am not involved in the sports project. I forbid anyone to attribute to me intentions that I never had. I forbid anyone to speak in my place, [or] in place of my agent in whom I have complete confidence.

"Still under contract, I am fully concerned and at the disposal of my club, my coach. I have always given my all for my team-mates as well as for all the supporters... and this won't stop now."

Xavi has also told Dembele to sign or be sold, and the player who was acquired after the big-money departure of Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain may have kicked his last ball for Barcelona. He was left out of the squad for Thursday's Copa del Rey last-16 tie with Athletic Bilbao.

Former Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann responded with fire and heart emojis to Dembele's passionate statement.

"I am not a man who cheats and even less a man who has a habit of giving in to blackmail," Dembele added.

"As you know, there are negotiations. I let my agent take care of this, it is his field. My field is football, simply playing football, sharing moments of joy with my team-mates, with our supporters. Above all, let's focus on the essentials: WINNING."

Related items

  • Mbappe stays at Paris Saint-Germain and turns down Real Madrid Mbappe stays at Paris Saint-Germain and turns down Real Madrid

    Kylian Mbappe has decided to stay at Paris Saint-Germain, turning down Real Madrid in a stunning move that few saw coming.

    Los Blancos made multiple bids for Mbappe in 2021, but all were turned down by PSG.

    Madrid had been widely expected to sign Mbappe as a free agent, with reports earlier this month claiming the deal was all but done.

    Mbappe was voted Ligue 1 player of the season for a third successive time last week, before declaring at the Union Nationale des Footballeurs Professionnels award ceremony in Paris that he would resolve his future before France's Nations League fixtures in June.

    However, in an extraordinary twist, reports circulated that Mbappe had in fact decided to take up PSG's offer of a new contract and remain in the French capital.

    His mother and agent confirmed on Friday that agreements had been reached with both clubs and, on Saturday before PSG's season-ending game against Metz, it was confirmed Mbappe would be staying put. He has signed a three-year deal.

    Mbappe was paraded on the pitch before the game at Parc des Princes, with a "2025" shirt.

    The 23-year-old has enjoyed another stellar campaign, scoring 36 goals and providing 21 assists across all competitions for PSG.

    Mbappe is the club's second-highest goalscorer, behind Edinson Cavani, having overtaken Zlatan Ibrahimovic when he netted for the 157th time in a PSG shirt earlier this season.

    Despite their wealth, PSG keeping hold of Mbappe is a huge coup for the Ligue 1 champions.

    PSG's efforts to win the Champions League again fell short this term, despite Mbappe's sensational performance over two legs against Madrid, but with the forward still on board, alongside Lionel Messi and Neymar, European success will again be the priority target in 2022-23.

  • Mbappe stays at PSG: Renewal is 'better than any signing' – Evra Mbappe stays at PSG: Renewal is 'better than any signing' – Evra

    Kylian Mbappe's decision to stay on at Paris Saint-Germain is "better than any signing" for the Ligue 1 champions, according to Patrice Evra.

    Mbappe was widely expected to leave PSG as a free agent and sign for Real Madrid but, in a sensational twist, the 23-year-old signed a new three-year contract with the French side.

    The striker's mother and agent confirmed on Friday that Mbappe had agreed terms with both clubs and would make a decision over the weekend.

    On Saturday, reports in France and Spain suggested Mbappe would remain at PSG and reject Madrid's offer, and the news was confirmed just before Mauricio Pochettino's team took on Metz.

    And for ex-Manchester United, Juventus and Marseille defender Evra, that news is wonderful for not only PSG, but French football as a whole.

    "I'm really surprised because I genuinely thought he was going to Real Madrid," Evra told Stats Perform.

    "But great news, what news for PSG, for France. Even if I played for Marseille, I really want a French team to win the Champions League.

    "Now I think they really want to win the Champions League, keeping Kylian Mbappe – what great news, this is amazing. It's better than any signing for PSG."

    Evra added to reporters after a team of United legends took on a team of Liverpool legends in a charity game at Old Trafford: "The project, they're going to focus on a player like Mbappe.

    "He's professional, he's hungry, he wants to win the Ballon d'Or, win the league, win the Champions League. What a win for all the French league."

    Evra's former team-mate Louis Saha added: "Football is crazy, nobody could predict [this]. It's the only situation in the world to see such a player be a free agent.

    "It's amazing. It's up to him to make those decisions. It's what we want, that's for sure. Keep on going, wherever he is playing."

    Jamie Carragher, meanwhile, was surprised by Mbappe's decision, though is sure the World Cup winner will end up playing in LaLiga eventually.

    "I'm surprised, I thought he would go to Real Madrid," the ex-Liverpool defender told Stats Perform.

    "It's a big surprise that one, actually. But I'm sure he'll make that move at some stage. Real Madrid or Barcelona or one of the big giants. 

    "I'd love to see him in the Premier League I really would, but he looks like he's got a few more years before he moves to Spain."

  • Mbappe stays at PSG: LaLiga claims deal shows 'state clubs' ignore spending rules, demands UEFA probe Mbappe stays at PSG: LaLiga claims deal shows 'state clubs' ignore spending rules, demands UEFA probe

    LaLiga has demanded an investigation into how Paris Saint-Germain have been able to fund a blockbuster new contract for Kylian Mbappe.

    The Spanish league body, headed by president Javier Tebas, said it would ask UEFA and authorities in France and at the European Union to investigate the financial affairs of the Ligue 1 champions.

    Mbappe's new deal was confirmed on Saturday just before PSG's final Ligue 1 match of the season against Metz

    The World Cup winner has signed a deal until 2025, turning down an offer from Real Madrid. It can be reasonably assumed the 23-year-old has penned one of the most lucrative deals in the sport's history.

    PSG have been able to attract the likes of Neymar, Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos away from LaLiga clubs, and Tebas said in a Twitter comment that the French club's president Nasser Al-Khelaifi had become "as dangerous as the Super League".

    LaLiga later issued a statement that made savage comments about PSG's business model.

    It said a deal such as the agreement with Mbappe "threatens the economic sustainability of European football, putting hundreds of thousands of jobs and sporting integrity at risk in the medium term, not only from European competitions, but also from our domestic leagues".

    The statement added: "It is scandalous that a club like PSG, which last season lost more than 220million euros, after having accumulated losses of 700million euros in recent seasons ... with a cost of sports staff of around 650million for this 21-22 season, can reach an agreement of these characteristics while those clubs that could accept the arrival of the player without seeing their wage bill compromised, are left without being able to sign him.

    "For all of the above, LaLiga is going to file a complaint against PSG before UEFA, the administrative and tax authorities in France and before the competent bodies of the European Union, to continue defending the economic ecosystem of European football and its sustainability."

    PSG have previously denied breaching financial fair play rules.

    LaLiga's statement also directly attacked Al-Khelaifi, saying it hoped that "he would refrain from carrying out these practices knowing the serious damage they cause", given he holds down senior administrative roles in European football.

    "This type of behaviour led by Nasser Al-Khelaifi... is a danger to European football at the same level as the Super League," the Spanish league's statement said.

    It added that PSG's spending "undoubtedly implies non-compliance with the current economic control regulations not only of UEFA, but of French football itself".

    Al-Khelaifi has been president at PSG since October 2011, with Qatar Sports Investments orchestrating dramatic change at the French club, bringing a host of global superstars to the Parc des Princes.

    Manchester City, under Abu Dhabi-led ownership, are another club who have spent heavily and achieved a level of success in recent years that had been unprecedented in their history. Newcastle United, meanwhile, are now majority owned by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

    LaLiga said of PSG's spending: "These behaviours denote even more that the state clubs do not respect or want to respect the rules of an economic sector as important as football, key to the sustainability of hundreds of thousands of jobs."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.