IOC concerned by FIFA push for biennial World Cup

By Sports Desk October 16, 2021

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) wants discussions to be held over FIFA's plan to stage the men's World Cup every two years instead of four. 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has been travelling across the globe in a bid to drum up support for making the World Cup a biennial competition. 

The proposal, which is set to be voted on in December, has been met with criticism from federations at a continental and national level, as well as players' and supporters' unions. 

The IOC suggested it is simply a money-spinning exercise for FIFA and said it shared concerns raised about the impact on other sports, gender equality and player welfare. 

An IOC statement read: "A number of international federations (IFs) of other sports, national football federations, clubs, players, players associations and coaches have expressed strong reservations and concerns regarding the plans to generate more revenue for FIFA, mainly for the following reasons: 

"The increased frequency and timing for the World Cup would create a clash with other major international sports. This includes tennis, cycling, golf, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, Formula 1 and many others. This would undermine the diversity and development of sports other than football. 

"The increase in men's events in the calendar would create challenges for the further promotion of women's football. 

"The plans ... would create a further massive strain on the physical and mental health of the players." 

The release continued: "The IOC shares these concerns and supports the calls of stakeholders of football, international sports federations and major event organisers for a wider consultation, including with athletes' representatives, which has obviously not taken place." 

Related items

  • Camperdown, Tivoli disqualified from Manning Cup after fielding ineligible players Camperdown, Tivoli disqualified from Manning Cup after fielding ineligible players

    Camperdown and Tivoli Gardens High have both been removed from the remainder of the Manning Cup after it was found that they both used ineligible players.

    As both teams were in Group B, they will be replaced in the quarterfinal round by the third and fourth-placed teams from the group, Excelsior High and STATHS.

    The new list of teams advancing to the quarterfinal round now reads: Jamaica College, Kingston Technical, Excelsior High, STATHS, Kingston College, Mona High, Charlie Smith, and St. Catherine High.

    JC, Mona, STATHS, and St, Catherine High will be in Group 1 while KC, Excelsior, Charlie Smith, and Kingston Tech will be in Group 2.

    Each team will play each other once and the top two teams from each group will advance to the semi-finals.

     

  • Reggae Girl Jody Brown's FSU wins NCAA D1 women's soccer College Cup title Reggae Girl Jody Brown's FSU wins NCAA D1 women's soccer College Cup title

    Reggae Girl Jody Brown and her Florida State University team have won the NCAA Division 1 women’s soccer College Cup with a 4-3 win over Brigham Young University on penalties on Monday.

    FSU rebounded from last year when they lost the championship game to Santa Clara University on penalties, and their coach, Mark Krikorian, referenced that game in his post-match interview.

    “It feels quite nice to be sitting on this side of it. Last year, I thought that we were quite good and had some unfinished business that we needed to address,” said Krikorian.

    Chinese midfielder, Yujie Zhao, scored the winning penalty kick for the Seminoles who won their third women’s national championship in history and second in the past four years.

    “I had faith that we were going to win in the penalty kicks. I was super, super happy,” Zhao said.

    Their goalkeeper, Cristina Roque, made two saves in the penalty shootout.

    “Last year, it just didn’t go our way and everyone was behind me then, and I knew whatever happened this year, they were going to be behind me. It does feel better here,” said Roque.

     

  • Lewandowski clarifies Ballon d'Or comments: I never wanted to say Messi's words were not sincere Lewandowski clarifies Ballon d'Or comments: I never wanted to say Messi's words were not sincere

    Robert Lewandowski has clarified his comments and expressed delight at Lionel Messi's praise after beating the Poland striker to the 2021 Ballon d'Or.

    Messi claimed a record-extending seventh Ballon d'Or last week, with Lewandowski having to settle for second and the inaugural Striker of the Year award.

    The Bayern Munich forward may feel somewhat hard done by, given he scored 53 times in 42 games for the Bundesliga champions between the start of 2021 and the winner being announced by France Football.

    That was the most of any player in Europe's top-five leagues across all competitions, with 2021 Copa America winner Messi down in joint-fifth with 32 goals.

    Gerd Muller's long-standing record for the most goals (40) scored in a single Bundesliga season was also broken by Lewandowski, who netted 41 in 29 league games last term to make him favourite for the award that was cancelled last year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    After accepting the award again, Messi made special mention of Lewandowski as he suggested the forward deserved a Ballon d'Or of his own for his 2020 performances.

    Lewandowski appeared ungrateful for the praise, apparently saying to Polish channel Kanal Sportowy that he hoped Messi's words were "a sincere and courteous statement from a great player and not just empty words," though he has since looked to clarify exactly what he meant.

    "My statement, which I made in an interview with a Polish TV broadcaster, is currently being misinterpreted," Lewandowski told Kicker. "I never wanted to say that Lionel Messi's words were not serious or sincere.

    "On the contrary. I was very touched and delighted by Lionel Messi's speech at the event in Paris, in which he expressed that, in his opinion, I deserved the Ballon d'Or 2020. I just wanted to express that I would of course be very happy if Messi's words were heard.

    "I respect and appreciate Lionel Messi beyond measure and once again congratulate him on winning the Ballon d'Or 2021."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.